I climbed the stairs, one by one. This was a one way trip, no turning back. My hands were empty, but my heart was full. However, I carried no regrets. I’d safely tucked away all of my memories.
The tire swing that still swayed in the breeze outside my parents’ home where my brothers and I spent countless hours.
The first day of high school where I met the girl of my dreams who would I escort to homecoming and senior prom, and later down the aisle after I begged her father for her hand in marriage.
The day I graduated from the academy.
The one little stick that changed our lives, announcing the pending arrival of our first born, a son I would never meet.
The bullets penetrated my body armor, taking my life and my future, sending me on this one way journey, armed simply with love.
Word count: 149
This is my offering for this week’s Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers sponsored by Priceless Joy:
Guide for Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers
1. A prompt photo will be provided each Tuesday to be used as a base to your story. Please include photo prompt with your story.
2. Linking for this challenge begins on Tuesday and runs to the following Monday evening.
3. Please credit photo to photographer
4. The story word limit is 100 – 150 words (+ – 25 words). Please try and stay within this limit.
5. Pingback to the challenge post in your story’s post.
6. This is a flash fiction challenge (stories in 100-175 words or less) and each story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Therefore, no serial (continuation) stories. They become too complicated for our readers.
7. Add your story to the InLinkz Link-up (Blue Froggy button). If you need link-up instructions, please email me at email@example.com.
8. Please keep your stories no higher than PG 13 rating.
9. Remember, half the fun is reading and commenting on each other’s stories.