Long after the bride and groom made their exit and the other guests followed, Elena sat in the emptied reception hall, exhausted. It was a beautiful Valentine’s Day wedding; her sister and new brother-in-law never looked happier. Elena was excited that her sibling found her perpetual plus-one.
She feared happily ever after was not in her cards, even though she’d done everything correctly: valedictorian, Ivy League, law school, career, house, car. All of these items crossed off the list in decent order.
The last two items – husband and children – remained elusive. Gun shy after a whirlwind romance and engagement that crashed and burned spectacularly, Elena was resigned to her fate. So she sat at the table, head down. Alone.
Word Count: 119
Photo courtesy of pixaby.com
This is my offering for the 37th Challenge of Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers:
1. A prompt photo will be provided each Tuesday to be used as a base to your story. Please include photo prompt with your story.
2. Linking for this challenge begins on Tuesday and runs to the following Tuesday.
3. Please credit photo to photographer
4. The story word limit is 100 – 150 words (+ – 25 words). Please try and stay within this limit.
5. Pingback to the challenge post in your story’s post.
6. This is a flash fiction challenge (stories in 100-175 words or less) and each story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Therefore, no serial (continuation) stories. They become too complicated for our readers.
7. Add your story to the InLinkz Link-up (Blue Froggy button). If you need link-up instructions, please email me at email@example.com.
8. Remember, half the fun is reading and commenting on each other’s stories.
I hope you enjoy!